Re: [TenTec] [Ten Tec] OCF Antennas - Which commercial antenna is gest?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>, k3ndm@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [TenTec] [Ten Tec] OCF Antennas - Which commercial antenna is gest?
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2015 12:37:01 +0100
Joe,

A possible explanation - and from my experience the most likely one - is that your "antenna" was actually the braid of your coax, top-loaded by the OCF wire. The differential-mode impedance of a 130ft wire fed at the 25% point is so high on 160m it's almost impossible for any choke/balun to prevent CM current on the braid. You'd only need about 30ft of coax for that system to appear as a top-loaded 160m quarter-wave.

Steve G3TXQ