Re: [TenTec] Question?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Question?
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2015 22:07:08 -0700
On Sat,9/26/2015 8:33 PM, Ron Notarius W3WN wrote:
It is unrealistic to expect (hope, maybe, being another story) for ANY major
manufacturer to keep a large or near-unlimited supply of spare parts for rigs
older than 10 years.

As some of us, and some of our fellow amateurs have found out, some
manufacturers don't stock parts more than about 5 years out.

Yup. The only Ten Tec gear I currently own are three Titan 425 amps, one Herc II amp, and a couple of 229/238 tuners. Two of the Titans are in active use, the third is a spare. The Herc II is a spare, which has the virtue that it can run on 13.8VDC. All were bought used for much less than new cost, and although I spent both time and money repairing two of the Titans, they have given me more than ten years of very good service.

A major advantage to owning all of these products is that they're relatively easy to work on, and there are relatively few parts that are, or are likely to be unobtianium, or otherwise not replaceable. In that category are bandswitches, Herc II output devices. Ten Tec published the complete schematic for the 425, all the semiconductors are very generic Motorola parts with standard part numbers, that either have in my junk box or can find at a local surplus house for cheap.

73, Jim K9YC