Re: [TenTec] TT Synthesizer Accuracy (Orion 2)

To: ronc@sonic.net
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TT Synthesizer Accuracy (Orion 2)
From: N4BE_Jim--- via TenTec <tentec@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 22:42:03 -0500
Hi Ron,

I thought I was following your procedure but it's still off at each end of the
HF spectrum.  I know it's probably within the advertised specs but it just
seems excessive.  Below are the O2 frequency readouts and the actual tuned
frequencies across the bands.  I used a known frequency source at each of 9
frequencies, rather than rely on WWV at one frequency.  The WWV reference
alignment assumes that once you calibrate at one frequency, the synthesizer
will track linearly at all other frequencies.  In my case, it doesn't.  I
haven't tried a reset yet, that's tomorrow.  I have listed the O2 readout
frequencies along side the actual tuned frequency below.  In this case, I
calibrated the TCXO at 20 meter frequencies and it tracks dead on within that
band, but error creeps in on bands above and below.  I used an Icom IC775
aligned to WWV as a reference, in addition to an HP8640 sig gen.

If this same synthesizer design is used in other TT radios, which I suspect,
then this may be a problem throughout the product line.  I'm hoping it is an
operator error.  Here are the numbers:

O2 Freq Readout.       True tuned freq.        Error
4.000.000.                   4.000.074.                 +74 Hz
7.000.000.                    7.000.052.                 +52 Hz
10.090.000.                 10.090.032.                +32 Hz
14.050.000.                 14.050.000.                 0 Hz
14.300.000.                 14.300.000.                 0 Hz
18.120.000.                  18.119.973.                 -27 Hz
21.100.000.                  21.099.950.               -50 Hz
25.000.000.                 24.999.919.              -81 Hz
28.100.000.                 28.099.900.              -100 Hz

jim N4BE

Sent from my iPad

> On Nov 12, 2015, at 9:55 PM, Ron Castro <ronc@sonic.net> wrote:
>
> Jim:
>
> The only accurate way to calibrate is to use the main VFO and WWV, preferably
> 15 or 20 MHz.  Follow the directions for tuning the master oscillator found
> on my website:
>
> http://n6ie.com/TXCO%20Calibration.htm
>
> The fan mod helps too, but it's not 100% necessary.
>
>          Ron Castro
>           N6IE
>    www.N6IE.com
>
> Member:
>                  ARRL
>     Redwood Empire DX Assn.
> Northern California Contest Club
> Northern California DX Foundation
>  Society of Broadcast Engineers

 brate it close to the middle of the HF frequency range, like 14.4 Mhz.