Re: [TenTec] TT Synthesizer Accuracy (Orion 2)

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TT Synthesizer Accuracy (Orion 2)
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 20:21:23 -0800
Jim:

I can tell you for certain that it's not in the Orion product line since
mine generally stays within +- 5 Hz from the broadcast band to 10 meters.
In the old days when there were two separate oscillators that determined the
frequency, tracking errors you described can occur, but unless my memory is
getting foggy, the entire frequency routine of the Orion is determined from
a single oscillator module.  In that case, if you're off 5 Hz on 5 MHz WWV,
you would be off 10 Hz at 10 MHz, 15 Hz at 15.  On ten meters, you would be
30 Hz off, all in the same direction, either plus or minus.  IOW a linear
deviation.

If you calibrate the radio exactly on at 15 MHz WWV, how far off is 10 MHz
and 5 MHz WWV?  Also check 2.5 MHz WWV if you can hear it, and in the day if
propagation is good, check 20 MHz WWV.  If you continue to get the same
result, there may be something else wrong that the factory needs to look at.

          Ron Castro
           N6IE
    www.N6IE.com

Member: