Re: [TenTec] Way Off Topic, But...

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Way Off Topic, But...
From: James Boswell <jboswell@nrao.edu>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2015 08:51:39 -0700
On 12/3/2015 9:18 PM, Kim Elmore wrote:
This is way off topic and not radio related, but there are some danged
smart people that participate on the reflector, so here goes...

It's the holidays and we've put up Christmas lights (mostly incandescent
series strings) and I'm seeing some very weird affects when I try
replacement bulbs. Specifically, when I plug in a replacement bulb of
ostensibly the correct voltage, it flashes like a strobe and is
immediately burned out. I tried some higher voltage bulbs, up top 12 V
and the same thing happens! All I can think of is that the cold
resistance of the filament is much higher in the replacements than in
all the other bulbs so that far more voltage appears across the new bulb
than the others and so the filament vaporizes. Is this what's going on?
It's very frustrating, to say the least...

73 & MX,

Kim N5OP
Kim,
Have you tried to replace the bulb, then apply power? Something to consider, the Chinese Christmas lights have no standardization, just because the lamp base matches, the working voltage can be different. It has been my experience, as a rule the cheap Christmas light strings either work or not, and changing the light bulbs have not corrected the problem as the socket is the fault. In the past I have carefully stored a strings of lights and the next year, part or the entire string fails to work. I ohm-out each light bulb, yet the string fails to light. This weekend I will try to set-up my Christmas lights and I hope they work. If I buy new lights, think I will try the LED lights and see if they last better. I hope this helps you out.

        Take Care, Merry Christmas, 73'S  KA5SIW