Re: [TenTec] TenTec Digest, Vol 156, Issue 4

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TenTec Digest, Vol 156, Issue 4
From: Steve Berg <wa9jml@frontier.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2015 23:20:36 -0600
Fortunately, there are lots of different aspects to our hobby. Having been involved with it since 1963, I have a fondness towards boat anchor radios. But, I frequently cringe when I read posts to other lists where hams have no idea of the lethality involved with high voltage electronics. I also have similar preferences to Rick's when it comes to larger rigs with knobs more suited to large and frequently arthritic hands. For this reason, I bought an Omni VII instead of an Eagle. But, the Corsair II wound up back on the desk as it is easier to use. When I want to change the speed of the CW I send, I much prefer moving a weight on a bug, or turning a knob, not paging through the manual to find out what menu does this. I wish that my Argonaut VI was made the same size as my Argonaut II, and used the same control layout. It would be a lot easier to use, and not that much bigger.

I have been having a great time with the Argonaut 515 and audio filter that I recently purchased from a list member. The performance of that radio is remarkable considering how old it is. But, it is not a contest radio.

As I am not a contest operator, I am very happy with what I have and do not require the performance level of a SDR radio. Again, I am glad that there are so many aspects of our hobby. During contests, I tend to migrate to the WARC bands. My QTH renders me uncompetitive, and I get tired of 60 WPM computer generated CW. I do hand out some contacts on the phone contests, especially on the higher bands.

I am not totally a troglodyte. I helped advance the state of the art in some areas of microwaves and millimeter waves before defecting to public administration.

73,

Steve WA9JML