[TenTec] 566 A9 Board Re-Cap

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] 566 A9 Board Re-Cap
From: Kim Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2015 19:48:23 -0600
I just finished replacing all the capacitors on the my Orion II (566) A9 power distribution board and it wasn't all that bad. The ROHS solder is a bit more troublesome than the older 60/40 solder, but it's not terrible. I, too, had trouble clearing the solder holes and in a couple of cases had to "walk" the old capacitor out and the new capacitor in by alternately heating each lead. But, even so it went smoothly, took a relaxed hour to do, and my work passed the smoke test with flying colors. The worst part was getting the rig out of its operating position and then getting it back in.

Upon inspection I found no evidence of any problems with the old capacitors, but the rig doesn't have nearly as many hours as some of you report. This way, I'm pretty sure that I won't have problems for as long as the rig lasts -- which I hope is a very long time.

Kim N5OP
--

Kim Elmore, Ph.D. (Adj. Assoc. Prof., OU School of Meteorology, CCM, PP SEL/MEL/Glider, N5OP, 2nd Class Radiotelegraph, GROL)

/"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." //– Attributed to many people; it’s so true that it doesn’t matter who said it./