Re: [TenTec] Pimp My Eagle

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Pimp My Eagle
From: "rick@dj0ip.de" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2016 11:52:05 +0100
GM Mike,

The Eagle was designed from the get-go to be run completely by software.
N4PY Radio Control Software runs it perfectly well and it is sweet!

But when I began this thread, I also said that there are a bunch of retired Old
OM who don't want to have to turn on a computer in order to work their radio.
Most retired OOM don't have as much money for the hobby as they used to.

The Eagle is not the only radio produced by Ten-Tec.
I suggested making the super Eagle into a radio for old timers which is what
Jack thought he was doing when he designed it - at least that's what he told me
face to face last time I had lunch with him.  It was to be easy to operate and
as far as possible, VOID of software menus.

I believe there is a huge demand for such a radio and currently nobody is
building one.
It is a niche product.

If people want more bells and whistles, then they should choose another radio.
If we try to make this a one-size fits all, it will only raise the price by
adding features these Old OM don't want (and don't want to pay for).

As I stated earlier, (IMO) Ten-Tec needs to define the market segments, define
the needs of each of those segments, then build products specifically for those
segments.

The JA OEMs will always produce an "All-in-Wonder Box" cheaper than any
American company can.
The American OEMs will succeed by building best-of-breed nitche products.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt, Germany)