Re: [TenTec] pimp my eagle.

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] pimp my eagle.
From: "rick@dj0ip.de" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2016 10:42:36 +0100
Barry,

This is no different that the computer industry in 1990.
People (users) began demanding plug-n-play.
They wanted to be able to buy anything - disk drives, keyboards, mouse,
memory modules, anything - anywhere and have it play.

I was a member of one of the storage committees working on delivering to
this.
Windows 95 was the very first PnP operating system (and boy did it have
trouble).
But today, 25 years later, nobody thinks twice about this.  It just all
works.

Perhaps my 10 years was a little optimistic.

It will begin whenever the first major transceiver OEM opens up its API and
allows 3rd party UKI vendors to build to them.

For reminder, UKI is the term I coined for User Knob Interface.
I'm referring to companies like Wood Box who make the TMate2.

The point is, UNTIL WE THE PEOPLE START ASKING FOR IT, it's never going to
happen.
Right now the OEMs are making a killing charging $300 for a tiny box with a
couple of knobs and buttons.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt, Germany)