Re: [TenTec] INFORMATION ABOUT VERTICAL ANTENNAS

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>, John Occhipinti <k3ur@att.net>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] INFORMATION ABOUT VERTICAL ANTENNAS
From: Phil Sussman <psussman@pactor.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2016 13:49:33 -0500
I am not familiar with the Hygain vertical; however, all of my HF mobile
antennas are verticals (obviously). In running comparisons between my base
set-up (which is a horizontal loop) and mobile set-ups, there is a significant
difference with respect to the range of the station being worked.

The mobile set-ups (I have 3) work great on longer range DX QSO's while the
loop favors (on 40 m) closer in perhaps 700-1000 km. Some may claim
polarization is an issue (vertical to vertical and horizontal to horizontal)
as some of my best closer in contacts were mobile to mobile (both vertical).

Regarding the Hygain vertical, I don't know whether the radiation pattern or
other obstructions are in play. A low SWR does not necessarily show good
radiation -- after all a dummy load also has a low SWR. I suggest using a
field strength indicator (a cheap one works fine, mine is homemade) to compare
effective radiation among your various antennas. I think you'll be surprised.

73 de Phil - N8PS

Quoting John Occhipinti <k3ur@att.net>:

I have been getting a lot of questions about my Vertical Antenna. I speak
purely from my own personal experience of being an Amateur Radio
Operator for the past 39 years.

My 42 foot Hygain All Band Vertical is just 1 of my antennas. I also have a

Hygain Long John 4 Element 20 Meter Monoband Beam, 50 feet high
on a Universal Aluminum Tower and a

Radio Works Full Wave Loop All Band Antenna.

I also use an Ameritron AL-1200 Legal Limit Amplifier.

Let me address my Vertcal Antenna setup. It is 42 feet high and I have
30 radials, with each radial being 35 feet long, going out in a fan type
direction, for a total of over 1000 feet of radials.

When I am running the TEN-TEC 20 meter SSB net, I use my Monoband
20 meter beam. When I switch to my Full Wave Loop, the signals drop about 2dB. When I switch to the Vertical Antenna the signal drops around 5dB and the weaker
stations cannot be heard.

When I am running the TEN-TEC 40 meter net, I use the Full Wave Loop. When
I switch to the Vertical Antenna the signal drops about 4 to 5 dB and the weaker
stations cannot be heard.

The VSWR is good on all antennas, so the point I am trying to make is that my
Vertical Antenna is a compromise antenna for me at my location.

I know that I have worked many stations using a Vertical Antenna and the people
"swear" by them. Most of these people live in restricted zone areas and
cannot put up a beam/tower or a long wire or dipole.

So what do they base their statements on, if they do not have another antenna
to compare it with?

I know that some Vertical Antenna users will not agree with me and that is their right to do so. I just wanted to respond with a blanket post to address all those
who have been contacting me about Vertical Antennas.

I have never lived in a restricted zone area or sub-divison, but I still can empathize with those who are forced to use Verticals and Flagpoles or even Wires in their attic. If this works for you, I say God bless you for finding a way to get your signal
out and enjoy your hobby.

Thank you for your time.

 John D. Occhipinti, K3UR
Net Manager, ten_tec Amateur Radio Nets

QRZ Page:  http://www.qrz.com/db/k3ur

Group Owner, ten_tec Amateur Radio Net Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ten_tec_radio_net/

SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/john-occhipinti-k3ur/sets/brotherjohns-most-popular

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/john.occhipinti.14

You Tube:  https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?o=U