Re: [TenTec] Mobile

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Mobile
From: Kevin Anderson via TenTec <tentec@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2016 21:49:45 +0000 (UTC)
For the year I lived in North Dakota back in 2000-2001 while my wife finished
her pastoral internship, I kept a Scout (turned down to 5 watts QRP) in the
1988 Plymouth Voyager van I was driving at the time.  Supported on his back
about three inches for cabling by a little cardboard box, I kept it strapped to
the left side of the front passenger seat using various bungee cords.  It was
"upside down" or backwards in the sense I had the speaker facing me and not
firing into the side of the passenger seat, so all the controls were reversed.
I didn't need to drill any holes to mount.  (Now whether it was entirely benign
were I to be in an accident, that is hard to say, but at least it was down near
the floor.)  What is nice about the Scout is now simple it is - I could easily
reach down adjust something by feel, without need to look at the radio, and the
only looking ever needed was to note the frequency I was on or to find a
specific one.  The van was long enough that I could ke
 ep four different hamstick antennas suspended in velcro wraps and wire,
suspended from the clothes hanger hooks already built in.  And the antenna
cable slipped out one of the side windows in the very back, out of everyone's
way, and the window could be closed in winter or rain without pinching.

If an Argonaut VI or some new equivalent can be that easy to use in a car, I
would say yes.  Same with the flexibility that the 1988 minivan provided that
wasn't duplicated in more recent vans I owned after that, both a '93 and a '98.

Kevin Anderson