Re: [TenTec] TenTec Digest, Vol 158, Issue 27

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TenTec Digest, Vol 158, Issue 27
From: "rick@dj0ip.de" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2016 15:11:59 +0100
Rob, that is all wonderful theory and I have little to disagree about.
But it is simply a dream for 99% of todays hams and it "ain't gonna happen."

Honestly, when is the last time you have personally seen someone build a
link coupled matchbox that worked more than 2 bands?

I built mine in the late 80s and it worked 80 and 40m.
You guys must have a lot better flea markets than we do.
One could NEVER accumulate all the parts for a multi-band link coupled
matchbox.

Perhaps you believe that if you can't build your own link-coupled matchbox,
you should do nothing at all.  I don't.

Despite losses in baluns, you can still put out a great signal with a 1:1
current balun in front of a big asymmetrical matchbox, when feeding into an
openwire-fed dipole.

My philosophy here is one should strive to do the best he can.
We don't all drive Cadillac's or Mercedes.

People who can afford (cost and space) multiple antennas should rather go
that route, but if you can only have one antenna and want to work all bands,
then you must be willing to accept compromise.  That doesn't prohibit you
from having a good signal - even when using a balun in front of your
matchbox.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt, Germany)