Re: [TenTec] RFI into Orion II

To: k9yc@arrl.net, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RFI into Orion II
From: Gary J FollettDukes HiFi <dukeshifi@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2016 21:12:55 -0600
I agree with your position about grounds versus shields.

Sadly, many audio manufacturers do not follow this design rule. I offer as
evidence some very high end cables from a very high end record player tonearm
manufacturer. The audio interconnect cable shields are only tied to ground on
one end (the arm end). They are not even brought out of the cable insulation on
the other end. Instead, a third wire down the middle of the cable pair carries
the “ground” connection from the arm to the preamplifier. Guess what, I have
hum.

Different area of interest, same problem…

Gary