Re: [TenTec] Portable QRP/SOTA

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Portable QRP/SOTA
From: Steve Berg <wa9jml@frontier.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2016 20:29:20 -0500
I have been following this thread with considerable interest. I still have a HW-7 that is functional, and recently bought an Argonaut 515 from a list member. The 515 is light years ahead of the HW-7, as expected, but I had lots of fun with the Heathkit for years. I kept a sealed motorcycle battery around that still held a charge well, just in case I had to operate without power for some time. I keep some wire antennas handy for this, along with Ten Tec and MFJ tuners. I put the battery into one of my friend's Moto Guzzi LeMans 1000, so I need to get another emergency battery. These sound very interesting.

My home antenna is a Hy-Gain DX 88 trap vertical with a lot of radials under it for a counterpoise. I made lots of contacts with the 10 watts from my Argonaut VI, even on SSB with the Ten Tec RF speech clipper. I have found that it is a bit harder with the 5 watts output from my Argonaut II, and lots harder with the 2.5 watts from the 515. My antenna situation here is rather limited, and I hope to move someplace that is flat and not obstructed by houses and a hill for about 140 degrees.

I wanted to buy an Argonaut 509 when I lived out in western Massachusetts, and it would have been a lot of fun hiking up to the top of Mount Tom, and setting up a portable station. So, I can see the appeal of SOTA. My knees are not so great any more, so I would have to take the road up there, if I were to walk up there now. We don't have much in the way of hills here in Northern Illinois, until you get near Galena. I hope those of you who can still climb will do so, and have a great time in the process.

Steve WA9JML