[TenTec] Portable QRP/SOTA

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Portable QRP/SOTA
From: Reed <w4jz@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2016 15:04:24 -0500
Something I forgot to mention, you don't have to use the RG-58 or RG-8X coax to feed a wire antenna. You can use RG-174 which is a lot easier to carry as long as the length is not too long to keep loss down to a minimum. Best I remember max rated output is little less than 200 watts at 50 MHz.

I soldered a RCA male plug to the coax end that goes to the rig & use RCA to PL-259 or BNC adapter depending on which rig I take. That way if some body or animal runs into the thin coax it will just pull out from rig & not rip it off into the air.

I use a 28 foot Jackite fiber glass pole to hold up the far end of antenna. This pole weights 4 lbs which adds to the weight if walking far. Pole also can be used for those in a HOA by running copper wire up through the pole with ATU at base and radials as this ham did in his review.

http://www.jackite.com/product_info.php?cPath=41_44&products_id=131

73,
Reed W4JZ