[TenTec] Just replaced the backlight on my T-T Delta II

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Just replaced the backlight on my T-T Delta II
From: <km2km@twc.com>
Date: Sun, 8 May 2016 12:04:17 -0400
Just a quick note, For what it is worth

I had bought this replacement from England a few years ago and only now got to
it - sorry I do not have the name of the company.   The backlight strip came
with wires and a plug.

The replacement is delicate, but not a struggle:

Remove top and bottom covers.

Loosen the top two screws on the side of the front panel,

Gently tilt the front panel forward;

Unplug three plugs that are on the screen - there are two plugs on the right
side, and one plug (serving the back light) on the left of the screen. (Make
note of which is which - but it is really straight forward)

Unscrew the screen - four screws.

lift off the screen by gently pressing from the front - might be a snug fit.

The backlight is plastic and slips between the glass screen and the intelboard
and is fed by two wires that wrap around the board from the two prongs frowm
which one of the plugs was pulled.

snip the two wires (really are like thick traces of flat wire) as close to the
backlight strip as possible.
Gently fold back the two traces so that they are out of the way of the
backlight strip as you slide it out.

I used needle-nosed pliers to pull the backlight strip out.

The replacement back light had two wires and a plug long enough the replace the
wires in the harness and not use the plug and folded back wires on the board.
I chose to snip them off leaving just enough wire to solder to the folded back
traces.  I used tape to hold the traces and wires to the board.

In retrospect, the alternative, use the plug and all, is probably the better
idea in retrospect, but the plug needs to be whittled a bit to fit. That would
save snipping the wires, pealing the insulation and soldering.

It is an easy repair and it is so nice to see the screen without having to
shine a bright light on it!

73

Kris KM2KM
MERSCHROD