Re: [TenTec] Some advice, please

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Some advice, please
From: John Bescher via TenTec <tentec@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2016 17:43:07 -0400
We have come a long way from rock bound separate transmitters and tube
technology, but nothing compared to the advances in the past ten years.

Capabilities not even dreamed about even as recent as 10 years ago...

Remote Stations  for rent, full featured and on mountain tops, operated from
your home;
Skimmer and whole band displays of not only signals but call signs;
Reverse beacons all over the world reporting on your signal strength;
Smart logging programs that even show the photographs of the contact and names,
addresses using web databases and past logs, Partial call sign lookup based on
worldwide activities of other hams;
DX monitor and similar computer applications displaying who's on by frequency,
call sign and country.
Station software controlling rotors, transceivers, modes, frequencies.
LOTW for keeping track of DXCC and entities worked and not worked.
Propagation software predicting time, places and frequencies.
Digital Modes and DSP;  most high scale modern rigs now utilize computer
technology.

These revolutionary concepts and capabilities are mostly attributed to the use
of computers, software and networks.

I believe there was an article in CQ Magazine several months ago about the
advances in Amateur Radio over the past 10 years.  I would use that as my basis
for the presentation.

Talking about old Collins gear, Heathkits, and manufactors' breakthroughs is
interesting and nostalgic, but nothing compared to the exciting advances within
the past 10 years.

And that's my two cents.

73....John Bescher, N4DXI