Re: [TenTec] OT - Entry Level for boys

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT - Entry Level for boys
From: Katz Ajamas <ajamas.rn@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2016 17:04:06 +0000
Mom drove me over to W4WKP's(SK) house and I traded paper route and
lifeguard money for used gear. A Knight T-60 and bright blue NC140. It was
also my first time seeing the inside of a real mansion. Wow!

Thank goodness for xtal spotting as that RX was general coverage with band
spread and a bit drifty.

Also thanks to Katashi Nose KH6IJ(SK) who would come up to the 40m novice
band and give struggling new hams the thrill of working HI. GA to HI on 40m
with a the Knight T60 and a dipole was pretty cool. While I am not
particularly partial to blonds, 40m is still my favorite DX band.

I don't recall the exact year of novice, 68 or 69. I do recall riding the
bus downtown less than a year later to sit for the General/Advanced/Extra
at the Atlanta FCC office. I studied the whole way there and passed all
elements. In retrospect, I should have waited until after the novice
roundup.

Upgraded to a Globe Meteor and Drake 2B. Never did put the Meteor on DSB,
To this day, my microphone sits in a drawer and only comes out on rare
occasion.

73, -Bob  ah7i