Re: [TenTec] Post to the Amps Reflector from Dishtronix

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Post to the Amps Reflector from Dishtronix
From: Joe Papworth via TenTec <tentec@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2016 14:20:07 -0400
I don't have a dog in the fight but I have to tell you guys this
unbelievable story. I wrote it for our club's newsletter. I hope the formatting

doesn't get discombobulated too badly.

Words To Shop By:

Going Above and Beyond the Call of Business…

Some tales are so strange, they just couldn't be made up, like the one I'm
about to tell you:

Some of you may remember that I bought ERD-Bob’s Pixel mag-loop receiving
antenna not too long ago. Within a few days I had it installed and
operational.

Apparently my expectations were too high. I thought the loop would hear
things I couldn't hear before and be able to eliminate all kinds of man-made
electrical noise. You know, work miracles.

When it didn't, I posed questions to the guys who had posted reviews on
eHam about the antenna. The guys came back with some good suggestions but none
 of them turned up anything. It was looking like “this is as good as it’s
gonna  get.” A call to Pixel netted nothing except to find out they were no
longer  carrying the product.

Then I received an email from Mr. Mark Ludwick at DX Engineering. He had
seen my post on eHam. He explained that DXE now all owns all the rights to
the  antenna. Mark offered to fully test the antenna and make any repairs
needed, FOR  FREE !!!! All I had to do was ship him the antenna.

I thanked him for such a generous offer but told him the antenna was
purchased used and was now two years old. In fact, it wasn't even purchased
from
DX Engineering.
Mark said "I stand by my offer!"

Well, who was I to stand in the way of a deal like that? And it just so
happened that Linda and I would be in the Akron area within a few days, so I
told Mark I'd just drop it off.

It gets even better...
When we arrived at the store, they told me that  instead of testing the
antenna, they were just going to give me a brand,  spankin' new one. Remember,
this was an out-of-warranty item, bought from a  different company, and I
wasn't the original buyer. Have you ever heard of such  a thing? I'm sure
those guys will hate me for telling this story because  everyone is going to
want that same deal.

By the way, this wasn't my first amazing experience with those guys. Some
years ago I bought a mobile mount from them. It was a big two-inch ball
mount,  perfect for my Hustler HF antenna. When I installed it, I was dismayed
to find  how cheaply it was made. “This will never hold up”, I said to
myself. And it  didn't.

I called the manufacturer and told them it was junk and that I wanted my
money back. “Oh, we can't do that, but we'll be glad to send you a new
replacement.”
“Why in the world would I want the same piece of junk?” I  asked. I told
them “No thanks”, and hung up. On a whim, I called DXE and they  took it
back, no questions asked. I was amazed.

Here’s a better one: I bought four 811A’s from them a while back. I put
them in my amp and ran them hard in a weekend contest. They did fine, for
that  one weekend! The following Monday they started arcing internally. The
plates had  warped. To make things worse, I broke one of them removing it from
the  amp.

I remembered my good experience with the mobile mount and called DXE to
plead for mercy. They said to just send ‘em back for a full refund. My reply
was  that I could only return three because I had broken one. The guy said it
was no  big deal and they took that one back too!!!!

By the way, the new loop behaved just like the used one. It really was “as
good as it gets.”

And finally, if I hear of anyone buying anything from anyone other than DX
Engineering, you will get a visit from my pals Guido and Knuckles.

Like DXE, they will make you an offer you can't refuse.

Joe, K8MP

In a message dated 9/22/2016 1:56:22 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,