Re: [TenTec] Tapping a Delta II for a panadaptor?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Tapping a Delta II for a panadaptor?
From: Carl Moreschi <n4py3@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2017 22:14:45 -0500
I thought the QST article for panadapters was very poor. It recommended using the IF to feed the panadapter. This is an archaic method. Today with the SDR receivers available such as SDRplay, much better results can be obtained without the need for an IF tap. These new SDR receivers (such as SDRplay) can receive over a wide frequency range typically from 50 khz to well over 30 mhz.

Because of this, the most modern hookups now just involve connecting the SDR receiver to the same antenna as the main radio and running them in parallel with the main radio. This gives a much wider and more versatile panadapter than being stuck with the radios IF.

The only obstacle to this is a good way to share antennas without transmit power from the main radio destroying the SDR receiver. Some main radios offer a receive out and receive in loop so with those radios it is a simple setup.

For radios that don't have a good way to share antennas, several companies offer solutions. For example, one such solution is the DXE-RTR-1A from DX Engineering.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
58 Hogwood Rd
Louisburg, NC 27549
www.n4py.com