Re: [TenTec] Wrong Product - Eagle

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Wrong Product - Eagle
From: Louis Ciotti <lciotti1@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 19:39:35 -0500
I do not see how TenTec is anything but dead, until they start shipping radios they are a repair shop, and they should not be be posting radios on their website they have zero intention of producing. The last amateur product to roll out was what over a year ago? When was the last amateur radio actually assembled?

I under stand Mike can't do everything, I am no fool, and anyone who thinks they can run a company by alone is.

I do hope they come out of the ashes, but I I just do not see how that is going to happen from the information at had (i.e. their website). They have all but lost their customer base, only the die hard users are hanging on in the hopes the come back, but how many of those die hard users are going to buy an Eagle when they produce them?

Say they produce a limited run of say 1000 Eagles at $1700 a unit? What are the margins on them? $200 if they are lucky... that will not keep the lights on.

You say that Mike "is trying to re-kindle it, paying cash as he goes, out of his own pocket." How is this a viable business plan? Sounds like a hobby to me...

I am baffled by the lack of the ability to hire a $12hr person to answer the phones for repair work and you want people to believe that they are going to sell radios and be able to support them long term? And if there really are that many people calling in for repairs that one person can't handle in intake, that does not give the end user a warm and fizzy about quality does it?

I know I sound all doom and gloom, but in today's fast paced market in which amateur radio has very little room for stumbling.

How is asking for an accurate and correctly coded website unrealistic? A website that accurately reflects the state of the company would be a good thing to shoot for. A site that the "About" page is a direct copy and past from a message posted on numerous websites and blogs over 1 year ago is not being honest with potential customers. The website is TenTec's customers only real source of infomration, and when it is in accurate what good is it? You say Mike is not doing everything, so who is running the show at TenTec? Sounds like he should at lease have a Product Line Manager named one year later...

Talking about future products is one thing but giving the impression to site viewers that they can buy a transceiver from TenTec is an outright lie.

You say I am what I am asking is unrealistic and have every right to think so, we each have our own opinions.... To me honesty is always the best way to go.

My first HF rig was my Grandfather's Model 540... still have it... I have also owned an Omni D, a Scout, Omni VI+, and currently have a Paragon on my bench that I am attempting to bring back from the dead. Every other rig I have owned has always just sounded harsh compared to the TenTec radios... In their day they were fine radios... I just wish they had never crashed.

rick@dj0ip.de <mailto:Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Monday, February 20, 2017 6:29 PM
Louis,

All of your points are fair points.  No question.  (Except for one).

Mike picked up the last few glowing coals from the fire that was almost
extinguished and is trying to re-kindle it, paying cash as he goes, out of
his own pocket.

I retired from the computer industry where I was a marketing VP for many
years.
I can assure you most of what we talked about was futures and vaporware.
If you don't do that, you're toast.
All companies do it.

Half of the products I spoke about never came to fruition.
The other half did.
But I was paid to talk about all of them.

Ten-Tec is currently shipping nothing.  Nada; Zip.
If they follow your suggestion to the letter, all a prospective customer
will be greeted with is a blank web page.  At that point Ten-Tec would
really be dead.

I now work for Spiderbeam, in fact I run the entire company.
The owner and MD pays me to keep customers away from him.
Sounds terrible but he must do that.

He owns 2 other companies and has manufacturing facilities in other
countries.
He travels all the time, and rarely has time to answer customers...and
certainly not on their timeframe.  But he has people in each business that
do that for him.

THIS TOO IS STANDARD PROCEDURE IN BUSINESS.

The boss can't do everything himself so he delegates tasks to reliable and
capable people.
Your expectation level here is totally unrealistic.

It would indeed be nice if Ten-Tec could have a contact telephone, but they
are not ready for that yet.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt, Germany)