[TenTec] FS: TT Scout (Model 555, NB) w/7 modules, mic, mobile mount, et

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] FS: TT Scout (Model 555, NB) w/7 modules, mic, mobile mount, etc
From: Kevin Anderson via TenTec <tentec@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2017 02:24:51 +0000 (UTC)
I offer for sale my Model 555 Scout in a package deal:

(1) Base radio, w/NB, serial number 06A11025 (dating the radio to June 1995)
(2) 701 hand-held microphone
(3) original manual (Dec 1995 print date, not one of the poor-quality
photocopies they started shipping later)
(4) power cord (basic cord w/out inline fuse, as sold to me by Ten-Tec; AMP
Mate-n-Lock at one end, bare wires at the other end, ready for you to attach
your preferred connectors and your own preferred fusing)
(5) 7 Modules - 40M, 30M, 20M, 17M, 15M, 12M, 10M (in other words, all but 160M
and 80M); and
(6) an unused and somewhat rare mobile mount (which I bought new from Ten Tec
in 2000, but never put to use)

I am asking for $500 for the entire package, sold as is, shipping included if
not to an unusual location (i.e., not a particularly expensive shipping
location, but if so, then I might need additional payment to help out).

The only problem that I am aware of with this radio is the following: The
three-way Speed/RIT switch does not work to switch on the Speed setting (i.e,
it doesn't activate the keyer speed adjustment, leaving you left with the speed
at the default 25 wpm for the internal Curtis Mode B keyer).  The RIT side of
the switch works just fine. I don't know if this is the case of a bad switch
itself, a problem with the switch mounting being slightly off and not throwing
far enough in the one direction, or in a broken connection somewhere in the
radio.  I recall this happening intermittently when I first acquired the radio,
although It never bothered me because I was fine using the keyer at 25 wpm (and
using Farnsworth keying with a paddle to get slower speeds) or in using an
external keyer/paddle (which was the case most of the time I used this radio).
[I had forgotten all about this problem until just recently, when I was talking
to someone else who was interested in the radio, but
 who was also dead set on having this part work.]

At this time I prefer to sell this as an entire package only, so no separate
pieces to be sold.  I am at least the third owner of this radio itself, which
I've owned since 2000.  I used the radio regularly from 2000 to 2007 (until it
got set aside for an 556 Argo Scout that I had then purchased and only used
occasionally since).  The radio has scuffs on the case, but no outright
scratches.  I am a non-smoker.  Some of the modules came with the radio; others
I added alter. The entire time I operated this 555 Scout, I have kept the power
turned down to approx. 5 watts, and so when you get it, you will need to
readjust the power level back up to 50 watts if that is what you want to put
out.

I request payment by bank cashier's check or postal money order only.

The reason I am selling is that I now have a Ten-Tec Argonaut VI as my main
radio, with my Argo Scout now becoming a back-up radio (with basic
80/40/20/15/10 meter modules) and for occasional mobile use.  As a committed
QRP operator, the 555 Scout is more radio than I need compared to the 5-watt
556 Argo Scout or Argonaut VI.

Let me know if you are interested.

Cheers/73,
Kevin Anderson, K9IUA