Re: [TenTec] Century 21 audio hum

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Century 21 audio hum
From: Dukes HiFi <dukeshifi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 23:45:42 -0500
That’s not a lot of ripple that’s for sure.

The fact that the volume pot does not reduce the hum clearly proves that the
direct conversion design of this receiver is not your root cause. of hum.

The fact that you can run the AF stages (including power amp) on an external
supply and still get the hum pretty well rules out the power supply regulator.

The fact that putting your fingers near some ceramic disc capacitors (I assume)
causes the SAME hum to increase, it sounds more like 60 Hz pickup than 120 Hz
ripple to me.

When you are listening to “normal” signals, is the volume pot set quite far CCW
to get the volume low enough to be comfortable? If so, likely your headphones
are too sensitive and you need to put a swamping resistor in between the radio
and the phones to get the hum to acceptable levels, and then turn the volume op
higher to hear the signals.

All circuits pick up some degree of 60 Hz hum. A very sensitive headphone makes
this hum annoyingly strong so the use of the swamping resistor to require a
higher volume setting for useful listening suppresses the hum and this method
is quite common, especially in the tube days.

The value of the swamping resistor is the highest value you can use while still
delivering sufficient phone volume with the AF gain set to about 60% of full
scale.

Gary