Re: [TenTec] notch filter for Eagle?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] notch filter for Eagle?
From: Darrell Bellerive <ve7iu@runbox.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2017 08:38:35 -0700
Rick,

From the rumour mill, the upcoming Icom IC-7610 direct sampling radio will have much better bandpass filtering than the IC-7300. Until it is generally available though, I would not believe any of the rumours. Also the price of the IC-7610 will most likely be much higher than the combined price of the IC-7300 and the outboard preselector.

The other thing to consider is that the radios in your comparison, the Orion/Eagle/K3 were all much higher priced than the IC-7300. (The Eagle fire sale prices being the exception.) Perhaps a fairer comparison may be the Orion/Eagle/K3 with the IC-7610.

We are again at one of those points in amateur radio where we are seeing a big shift, like the spark gap/carrier shift, the AM/SSB/transceiver shift, the Japanese hybrids, synthesizers, dsp, and now direct sampling. Look at what Apache Labs are doing with the ANAN products. Their have broken through the ceiling on transmitter IMD, reducing it by orders of magnitude.

I expect that in the next few years we are going to see some amazing new radios.

73, Darrell  VE7IU