Re: [TenTec] Inspired by TenTec!

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Inspired by TenTec!
From: <Rick@dj0ip.de>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2018 07:55:33 +0200
GM Ron,

The problem is, if you don't cater to the vast majority of "everyone" - i.e.,
the guys wanting SDR in this case, you won't be in business 5 years from now.

The company I work(ed) for has been in business for 18 years and is growing in
the low double-digit percentage, each year.  However it is the commercial
portion of our business that is responsible for the growth.  The ham business
is slowly shrinking.   We make our money in the ham radio business by selling
the lower cost items to the ham community, not the high-end Yagi antennas that
were used exclusively by all of the 63 WRTC-2018 teams last weekend.  If we
weren't focusing on the low end, there would be no money for manufacturing the
high end.

BTW, here is my feedback on our unofficial participation in the WRTC and IARU
contest last weekend:

http://www.dj0ip.de/wrtc-2018/my-wrtc-2018/

Take a look at QRP Labs QCX transceiver “kit”.

Hans (the owner of QRP Labs) has sold over 5000 of these in less than one year.

I know because I happened to receive serial number 5000, and got a
congratulations email from Hans for being his 5000th purchaser.

*       This is a kit costing just $49.  It is cheap.  It is good.
*       A good crystal filter costs $100.

See: http://www.dj0ip.de/wrtc-2018/my-wrtc-2018/

A radio with a single 9 MHz filter won’t perform as well as the QCX transceiver.

END OF STORY.  GAME OVER FOR XTAL FILTERS!

73,

Rick, DJ0IP

(Nr. Frankfurt, Germany)