Re: [TenTec] Inspired by TenTec!

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Inspired by TenTec!
From: Bob McGraw K4TAX <rmcgraw@blomand.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2018 18:53:44 -0500
It appears that I will be selling my Tentec 238 tuner in the near future.  This tuner was purchased new by me from Tentec in March 1996.   I did replace the elastic dial cord and pilot lamps with original materials in May of 2014.  They are still good working condition.   This tuner has always been on my desk in our non-smoking home.   It works great!

I did upgrade the 4 pairs of disk ceramic capacitors, which do heat and change value under certain load conditions and at near legal limit power.   These were replaced with quality RF rated doorknob capacitors.  Also I replaced C7 & C8 with a RF rated doorknob capacitor.

In terms of radio performance and quality, in August 2015, I did purchase a new Elecraft K3S.  After almost 36 months of daily usage, I can say about this radio there is clearly a difference in performance and quality  as compared to others including Yaesu, Kenwood and Tentec.

The new breed of SDR radios are offering some nice features at bargain prices, but I don't think the performance is there at this time.

As to Tentec, they are alive and moving forward.  The commercial products have been their salvation.  They are servicing the last/current models in Sevierville as well as the commercial work.  They are reportedly looking for real estate in order to move the manufacturing facility.  All of this is tentative and I'm not aware of any paperwork being passed.    Stay tuned.

73

Bob, K4TAX