Re: [TenTec] Centurion hook up

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Centurion hook up
From: <Rick@dj0ip.de>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2018 07:50:27 +0200
GM Paul,

The safest way is to use the TX OUT/EN mod that Gary describes and Patrick
pointed out.
This is not some kind of hack; it is exactly how it is done on later model
transceiver that have this feature.

If you don't want to modify your radio and still want to interface
seamlessly with your Centurion, you can use an special "external" keyer.

There are a few keyers which offer adjustable time-sequence keying for the
transceiver and the amp.
They add the necessary delay to prevent hot switching, yet still be used as
QSK.

HOW THEY WORK:  When you hit the first dit (or dah), these keyers
immediately swith the AMP KEY line of the linear amplifier, and after a
defined (adjustable) delay, pass the dit on to the transceiver.
This enables the linear to have finished switching before RF is applied.  In
addition they also have post-dit delay (hang) which assures the amp's T/R
relay does not switch back to RECEIVE before the last dit or dah has
completed.  I use an MFJ Millennium Keyer Model 495.  It has programable
delay for both of these signals.

If you want to read in detail about amp interfacing and CW, I have a few
pages on this topic on my web site:
http://www.dj0ip.de/ricki-leaks/amp-interfacing/

You can also purchase a QSK-2500 and it will do all of this automatically.
https://qsk2500.myfreesites.net/

MY RECOMMENDATION:  Do the Mod.  It is very simple to do.

Gud Luk

73,
Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt, Germany)