Re: [TenTec] frequency adj.

To: dale via TenTec <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] frequency adj.
From: Bob McGraw K4TAX <rmcgraw@blomand.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2019 16:56:07 -0500
Dale:

The spec as I recall is +/- 50 Hz.  Looks as though you are well within that spec.  Oh by the way,   .22 Hz is ~1/4 of one Hertz. I think you mean 22 Hz.

You should check all bands and determine the error on each one. Each one has a crystal oscillator operating in a Phase Lock Loop based on the reference frequency.   Earlier radios had a crystal oven which required time to reach operating temperature.  It was not at uncommon for that oven to fail and there was no temperature control.   Also, if you turn off the DC power to the radio, you should wait about 1 hr for the oven to heat and stabilize.  Later radios had a TCXO which had a trimmer accessed through a small hole in the top of the device.  They are about the size of a postage stamp located on the Logic Board.   Also you will find that the BFO oscillators are not temperature stabilized.  Any error or drift due to temperature change will cause an error in absolute frequency.   For these reasons, the spec is +/- 50Hz.

Yes, you can correct the read-out but what frequency is the radio on?   Remember the digital read-out is just that, and is not a frequency measurement.

My advice, don't tamper with it.  You'll like come away frustrated and maybe worse off than 22 Hz.

73

Bob, K4TAX