Re: [TenTec] frequency adj.

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] frequency adj.
From: dale via TenTec <tentec@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2019 07:56:47 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Bob McGraw K4TAX" <rmcgraw@blomand.net>
Sent: Wednesday, October 23, 2019 4:56pm
To: "dale via TenTec" <tentec@contesting.com>

Dale:

The spec as I recall is +/- 50 Hz.  Looks as though you are well within
that spec.  Oh by the way,   .22 Hz is ~1/4 of one Hertz. I think you
mean 22 Hz.

You should check all bands and determine the error on each one. Each one
has a crystal oscillator operating in a Phase Lock Loop based on the
reference frequency.   Earlier radios had a crystal oven which required
time to reach operating temperature.  It was not at uncommon for that
oven to fail and there was no temperature control.   Also, if you turn
off the DC power to the radio, you should wait about 1 hr for the oven
to heat and stabilize.  Later radios had a TCXO which had a trimmer
accessed through a small hole in the top of the device.  They are about
the size of a postage stamp located on the Logic Board.   Also you will
find that the BFO oscillators are not temperature stabilized.  Any error
or drift due to temperature change will cause an error in absolute
frequency.   For these reasons, the spec is +/- 50Hz.

Yes, you can correct the read-out but what frequency is the radio on?
Remember the digital read-out is just that, and is not a frequency
measurement.

My advice, don't tamper with it.  You'll like come away frustrated and
maybe worse off than 22 Hz.

73

Bob, K4TAX