Re: [TenTec] CAT control of Omni VI Plus

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] CAT control of Omni VI Plus
From: Carl Moreschi <n4py3@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2021 10:18:30 -0500
My N4PY Icom program will control it fine. Then you can connect all other programs to my N4PY Icom program and all will work well.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
127 River Moss Way
Hertford, NC 27944
www.n4py.com

On 1/3/2021 10:11 AM, Karl Heimbach wrote:
All,

I bought a FTDI 25 pin serial cable for my Omni VI Plus and am
interested in what others may have used or are using for CAT control.

Flrig, both the Windows and Linux flavors, will allow frequency and mode
changes, but hangs on transmit/receive.

Ham Radio Deluxe does not have support for an Omni VI, but does have
support for an Icom 735.  Using HRD and talking to the Omni as an Icom
735, allows for frequency changes, but the mode is stuck in AM.

WSJT-X will communicate with the Omni using hamlib.  I suspect that
fldigi will also work utilizing hamlib.

I suspect that CAT functionality with an Omni VI is going to be
rudimentary at best.  If flrig could be made to work, the "CMD" section
of flrig would allow appropriate commands to be sent for additional
control of the radio.  The Ten-Tec manual has an entire section on what
strings to send for various functions.

Thanks,

Karl - W5QJ