[TenTec] Omni VI opt 3.... PLL problem

To: Ten-Tec List <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI opt 3.... PLL problem
From: Jim Goudie <jagoudie@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 20:05:35 -0500
Hello,

[ I sent this a day ago….  and it never appeared, so trying again ;-). ]

I have an option 3 Omni VI that has developed a gargley warbley wobbly
intermittent sound heard on Tx and RX, and I also hear it on the 5-5.5mhz PLL
signal.  At times, that ‘noise’ seems to be affected by mechanical bumps and
repositioning the chassis.   So, I opened things up…. “exercised connectors,”
cleaned up and re-soldered areas on the PLL board that looked suspicious, and
didn’t find much else.  Before going deeper, I decided to put it back together
and see if my initial work had solved the problem.

I was very encouraged for a while.  I was even tweaking the alignment before
planning to put it back in the case.   But then…. it warbled again.  It seems
to be making the noise less often so far, but ...

Any advice/experience with what might be wrong or how to proceed?  There’s no
direct access to the 5 mhz PLL board during normal operation…  So… I’m open to
suggestions…

Thanks,
Jim  AF3Z

Jim Goudie   —  jagoudie@comcast.net