TopBand: interference problems

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: interference problems
From: w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com (w8ji.tom)
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 09:00:05 -0400
Hi Tom,

There obviously is a non-linear device at "work" somewhere in the area of
your system.

If it was actually generated in your antenna, it would probably stop for a
while after you transmitted.

You can be pretty sure it is outside your antenna system!

Interference of this type (or ANY type) can couple directly through
induction fields (both magnetic or electric field coupling) or through
radiation fields. That means it can couple almost any way, and no one
suggestion or "cure" might be correct.

The only solution to this, or any other "coupled" interference problem, is
to experiment. If I were you, I'd get a small battery powered radio that
tunes 160 meters (or any other band where you hear the garbage) and walk
around. I'd try to find the strongest point, and look around and see what
could be causing the problem.

I had a similar problem, and it was a rusty splice in a fence several
hundred feet from my antennas. I jumped around the splice by wrapping clean
galvanized wire around clean fence ends, and I haven't had a problem since.
You could have about anything at work in your case.

73 Tom