Topband: summer vs winter 160 m operation

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: summer vs winter 160 m operation
From: jgoforth@ntown.com (jack goforth)
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 11:06:26 -0400
Hi gang,

I for one, am looking forward to the fall and winter months so I can
get back to 160.

Several have questioned why fewer numbers of North American station
are on 160 in our summer months.

For me, this is the reality because of two conditions that affect my
160 operation.

One, I have to use beverages to receive any DX on the 160 meter band.

Two, I have to take down my beverages in the North American summer
months to cut the hay in the fields.

I try to cut the hay in my fields, June 1 and Sept 1 each year. I put
up the bevs after Sept 1 each year and keep them up until the spring
growing season, usually until late March.

It is impossible to cut hay in the fields with the beverages up.

Another factor for me is lightning. Lightning storms are much more
frequent during the summer months in North America.

Beverages tend to collect static and it is not safe for man or beast
to be near the terminus of the bevs with the frequent summer thunder
storms we have in the area, at least where I live. (Tennessee)

I know I miss some DX on 160 between April and Sept when the Bevs are
down, but this is just a situation I have to live with under the
present conditions.

See you in the pile-ups...This fall.

Jack   K4IBP