Topband: FT-1000D External Receive

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: FT-1000D External Receive
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 08:32:00 -0500
At 07:24 PM 11/14/02 -0800, W4EF wrote:
>We are about to install a pair of K9AY loops at the local
>club station and were wondering if the FT-1000D requires
>any special care with respect to front-end protection when
>using the external receive antenna input. The loops will
>only be about 100 feet or so away from our transmit
>antennas (I know - this may present a whole other set of
>problems with respect to interaction), so I am a bit
>worried that we might fry the input amp on the FT-1000D
>if its not adequately protected. We may also use the loops
>with a TS-850, so I would be curious about
>how well this rig does with respect to front-end protection
>of external receive antennas. We will be running 1.5 KW
>to the TX antennas.

I've asked this question in the past on towertalk, and been strongly
advised to use protectors, particularly in an SO2R situation where any
built-in relay protection is not a factor.  You might check the
contesting.com search engine for this, or I might be able to dig up some of
the better e-mails.

73, Pete N4ZR
Sometimes a tower is just a tower