Topband: A few words

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: A few words
From: k6se@juno.com (k6se@juno.com)
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 12:58:50 -0800
Bob, NM7M wrote:

"In simple terms, skewing is just a case of horizontal refraction and
results from a wave encountering a horizontal variation in ionization."
==========
Good explanation, Bob.  After all of the talk here about the auroral
oval, I was still puzzled about my QSO with Myanmar which was skewed ~90
degrees frome the normal short path which is nowhere near the auroral
oval.

I wonder if it also could be explained as "backscatter", such as often
experienced on the higher frequencies?  This would be the case where
propagation from Myanmar would be poor to me on the short path but
excellent from there to the south Pacific, which the "bounce" off of the
ocean would scatter some of the signal toward me.

73, de Earl, K6SE