Topband: A few words

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: A few words
From: n5ia@zia-connection.com (Milt Jensen, N5IA)
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 05:19:40 -0500
Good evening guys,

I have been reading all the posts related to this subject for the past
couple of weeks.  I have just a few paragraphs to add to the mix.

As I am still a normal working stiff with many other commitments in life, I
have a small amount of continued operating experience on Top Band.  From the
QTH here on the SW border of NM with AZ I have noted a few cases of skewed
signals on pre-sunrise signals.  I have not observed any skewed signals at
sundown.  EU, AF, SA signals always have been right where they should be on
short path.

However, Earl brings up the singular occurence which is dear to my heart.  I
had the priviledge of going on both the 1998 XZ1N trip to Yangon (Rangoon)
and the super trip to Thahtay Khun Island as XZ0A in 2000.

For 3 and 1/2 weeks the propagation to NA started a few minutes after
sunset, just like clock work.  We experienced three great openings, about 20
mediocre openings, and a couple of nights when there was practically
nothing.

Please refer to the archives at

http://lists.contesting.com/_topband/2001-September/013357.html

and a couple of messages before and after this post for information
regarding most of the discussion regarding the skew path from XZ0A to NA.

Suffice it to say that the 90 degree + shift Earl mentions was there, it was
high angle arrival, and it was predictable every day as to start time within
a few minutes.  It was also predictable as to when it would suddenly begin
shifting to the direct paths 100-130 degrees away.

I am a believer, 'cuz I been there, done that!!!!

73 de Milt, N5IA