Topband: 160m contests - what do you want?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160m contests - what do you want?
From: sire at iinet.net.au (Steve Ireland)
Date: Sat Jan 25 08:48:05 2003
At 11:12 AM 24/01/2003 -0600, you wrote:
G'day all

I think there is a bit more to Tom W8JI's posting than simply a
compassionate gentleman-like one.

The reality is that the disappearance of the DX window means that
endangered species DX like myself have no sanctuary at all in this
shoot-out between the USA and Europe 'Big Guys'.  The DX window wasn't much
of a sanctuary, but it was something... Without it, life in the CQ 160 is
likely to become too much like hard work for many 'real DX' stations.

What is likely to happen over time is that real DX in this contest becomes
extinct.  This is going to mean that the little pistols who are the bulk of
the stations that the Big Guys work are less inclined to come on, because
there is no real DX to work.  In the end, the Big Guns have less and
stations to work and the CQ 160 dies...

What do you want, blokes - a vibrant exciting worldwide contest or yet
another boring - and dying - slugfest between the Big Guys?

Vy 73, Steve, VK6VZ

>Tom wrote:
>
>...SNIP...
>
>> Pity the poor (DX or USA) station a long distance from anyone now, or with
>> small antenna or low power. He is done for. The rich get richer!

Ford, N0FP, replied: