Topband: Contest Problems

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Contest Problems
From: w8ji at contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Mon Jan 27 09:50:59 2003
> Doesn't the FCC require pure emissions?  Remembering the old days in
> hometown broadcast and proof of performance night being the highlight of
the
> small town engineering year, they used to make sure everything was working
> to spec.  Can't regulators be forced to act to clean up this mess?  Can't
> manufacturers make radios that only send what they are supposed to and not
> bonus of extra pops, clicks, growls, or whatever?

Transmitting:
http://www.w8ji.com/what_causes_clicks.htm

Receiving:
http://www.w8ji.com/radios.htm

I'm working on something about phase noise and other radio/amplifier
problems.

Some people at the ARRL have expressed interest in changing the review
format to actually measure bandwidth. One suggestion is rating various radio
technical performance areas as "poor, good, better, etc" and using plain
non-technical language to describe performance (rather than graphs or
numbers). This would allow people who are not especially technical to
understand the ranking of radios.

I hope we all contact our directors and push them towards changing review
policies. We need to push hard, because we can be sure manufacturers will
push to keep the review as meaningless as possible. This whole problem is
rooted in a lack of concern that has gone on for many years. There is no
reason my old Collins KWM-2 should be 30dB (1000 times) cleaner than at
least two brand new DSP radios and 20 dB better than the rest.

As for the FCC or other similar agencies, I'd keep them out of this!