Re: Topband: Silver Plated Conductor

To: "Joe Craig" <jcraig@mun.ca>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Silver Plated Conductor
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 07:37:16 -0500
> It also prevents oxidation of the copper, but I'm not sure
> how
> significant an improvement this will be in terms of Q.
>
> Joe VO1NA

Surface corrosion or tarnish, unless it really eats away the
conductor surface, has little effect.

As  was pointed out the skin depth of silver on 160 is about
.0018 inches and even a very heavy plate won't significantly
change conductivity or Q. As the material is more resistive
on the surface the maximum current will just move a very
tiny bit deeper into better material.

Tin plating, silver plating, mild tarnish or oxidation of
copper....it generally won't mean much until you get above
20 or 30 MHz or unless the plating is a pressure connection
point.

People generally plate HF coils because they want stuff to
look better. It's called radio bling bling now.

73 Tom