Re: Topband: Beverage antenna ground

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage antenna ground
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 21:33:10 -0500
Ed Swiderski, KU4BP wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I have a question to all concerning the ground stake for a Beverage. Through
>my reading I see some differnet opinions over the type and size of it. Have
>read about using standard 8-foot ground rods, then 4-foot and then 2-foot
>are OK. Also, I have seen that copper pipe of the same varying lengths and
>diameters are OK. What I would like to know is what has seemed to work best
>for you? ......

Ground rod impedance varies a lot depending on your soil.  In Florida I
used 4 ft ground rods for receiving antennas and they measured about 50
to 70 ohms.  That was measured at 2 KHz.  I don't know what they were at
2 MHz, but I just used that as a figure of merit.  When I tried the same
thing in north Alabama, the rods measured 375 ohms.  Nearly all that was
due to contact area between the ground rod and the soil.  I know that
because the impedance between two of them placed 1 ft apart measured the
same as two of them 40 ft apart.

As far as what effect that has on a Beverage I only know what EZNEC
says, I don't have any reliable experimental data.  A poor ground rod on
the termination end should work OK if you reduce the size of the
termination resistor to compensate for it.  For a single direction
Beverage, EZNEC says that a poor ground rod on the coax end reduces the
gain some but doesn't have much effect on the pattern.   I haven't
looked at a bi-directional Beverage.

For the rod on the coax end, I don't connect my coax shield to it to
avoid common mode pickup problems.  I use coupling transformers with
good common mode rejection.  A floating coax does create one more
problem, induced currents on the coax due to close lightning strikes.
To solve that, either a low voltage gas tube surge suppressor between
the coax shield and the ground rod, or a separate ground rod for the
coax shield.

Jerry, K4SAV