Re: Topband: HELICALLY WOUND VERTICAL

To: CRAIG CLARK <jcclark@wildblue.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: HELICALLY WOUND VERTICAL
From: DAVID CUTHBERT <telegrapher9@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 06:56:58 -0600
Craig you are right. A helical vertical will be out performed by a top
loaded vertical. The top loaded short vertical will have higher radiation
resistance resulting in a better signal.

Designing and building a top loaded vertical is easy. They work as modeled
in NEC whereas the helical antenna is more of a cut-and-try endeavor.

For everyday use I run a top loaded vertical on top band. Sometimes as short
as 10'. But when contest time rolls around a 130' balloon wire appears,
sometimes flying over the Great Salt Lake of Utah.

   Dave WX7G