Re: Topband: Boring Report - December

To: "Tree" <tree@kkn.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Boring Report - December
From: "David Raymond" <daraymond@iowatelecom.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 11:39:16 -0600
: Boring Report - December

> Simply put - Decemeber was not very exciting...  dare I say almost
> boring?
>
> While I have been able to hear and work some Europeans during the
> month - signals have been down significantly from normal.  Most
> nights - I either hear nothing - or perhaps only a few weak signals.
> Most of my contacts have been made by the "skin of my teeth" and
> there have not been any opportunities to run stations.  While I have
> worked a few stations in the morning - the mornings in the past two
> years were much better.
>
> All of this sort of adds to me thinking conditions are significantly
> worse than they were the past couple or years.  Likely worse than
> they have been since 2006.
>
> Just wondering if this matches the perception of others?  Looking
> back in my logs - it's amazing to me that I actually went through
> several years of working zero Europeans - but it appears we might
> be on the brink of this happening again?
>
> 73 Tree N6TR

>From my observations here in the Midwest, conditions are substantially down
from recent years past.  That includes conditions to EU, Asia, and VK/ZL.
Last year and the year before many of the active NA stations were routinely
working Zones 17, 18, & 19 both morning and night.  This part of the world
is a relatively tough path for NA.  This year it's much more of a challenge
to work those zones at any time.  I note that activity from JA is only a
small fraction of what it has been in recent years.  Two years ago I could
easily work 10 or 20 JA stations in one morning session.  Now, I can CQ
beaming JA for 20 minutes and never even get a response.

All that said there have been a few bright moments.  There was a wonderful
opening from the Midwest to EU at their SR a few nights ago.  Topband
sounded like 20m at midday with stations every KHz.  But that was just one
evening, not night-after-night like it was a year or two ago.

I think all of this has somewhat discouraged all but a few of the stalwarts,
and understandably so.  You just have to be on. . .there just won't be as
good a return on your investment.  No doubt, times and prop have changed.

73 and Happy New Year to all. . .Dave
W0FLS
in Iowa

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK