Re: Topband: Boring Report - December

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Boring Report - December
From: Charlie Young <weeksmgr@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 07:29:16 -0600

This is my 3rd season on 160, so we don't have years of experience.  Since
coming on the band  October 24, 2008, I have been listening my mornings and
evenings over 95% of the time.   This season we got on 160 a bit earlier than
previous years, about the first week of September.  Conditions were much better
than we expected, both to EU and especially VK/ZL.  Perhaps the VK/ZL condx
were seasonal, and I missed the best times in the previous years by getting on
later.  My impression of September condx to EU is they were better than in
December at my location.

Most nights, I can hear and work the "beacon" stations from EU here in WV but
the next tier of stations is missing.  Clearly, conditions now are nothing like
08/09 and 09/10.  Many nights even the beacon stations can't be copied.  To put
the difference between this year and the previous two years in perspective, it
would probably take several years under the present condx to work as many
countries as we worked in 60 days during Oct/January 2008.  There is just no
comparison.

There have been highlights this season, spot openings to several of the
DXpeditions.  Without this, 160 would have been "boring" for sure.

There are only a couple of JA's in the log this year and only a couple of
UA9/UA0 stations, well down from the previous two years.  We were fortunate to
catch a spotlight to JD1BMH for a new one, but most mornings I have not been
able to hear Harry.

Hopefully condx will improve but I don't know what to expect.

73 Chas N8RR

> Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 08:17:14 -0800
> From: tree@kkn.net
> To: topband@contesting.com
> Subject: Topband: Boring Report - December
>

> Simply put - Decemeber was not very exciting... dare I say almost
> boring?
>
> While I have been able to hear and work some Europeans during the
> month - signals have been down significantly from normal. Most
> nights - I either hear nothing - or perhaps only a few weak signals.
> Most of my contacts have been made by the "skin of my teeth" and
> there have not been any opportunities to run stations. While I have
> worked a few stations in the morning - the mornings in the past two
> years were much better.
>
> All of this sort of adds to me thinking conditions are significantly
> worse than they were the past couple or years. Likely worse than
> they have been since 2006.
>
> Just wondering if this matches the perception of others? Looking
> back in my logs - it's amazing to me that I actually went through
> several years of working zero Europeans - but it appears we might
> be on the brink of this happening again?
>
> 73 Tree N6TR

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK