Topband: "Grounds" for a Beverge

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: "Grounds" for a Beverge
From: "Charles W. Shaw" <chasshaw@leaco.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 17:44:50 +0000
Howdy from NM,

         It appears to me that once more the term "ground" has led
someone astray, and most likely it was some of us old time Topbanders
that caused it.

         Mark, WD4ELG, recently said, "I thought bev worked with poor
ground."  In one sense, most of us would agree--a Beverage over dry
sand and rock can work OK and certainly better than if it's over salt
water.  But Mark was discussing the "ground" stakes of his Beverage.

         I have often read that the terminating "ground" at the far
end of a Beverage is not very critical.  However, I believe that we
should strive for a good "ground" at the feeder end.  My reasoning is
that unless we have a relatively low resistance "ground" on the
antenna side of the impedance-matching transformer, the current
through the transformer will be reduced so that little signal will
reach the 50-Ohm primary going to the receiver.

         OK you antenna expert EE's, set this musician MusEd ham straight.

Charles - N5UL
Hobbs, NM
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK