Re: Topband: First attempt at beverage antenna, not working as expected

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: First attempt at beverage antenna, not working as expected
From: <donovanf@starpower.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 12:38:19 -0500 (EST)
Mark,

While "The Benchmark Beverage" makes interesting reading, it conflicts
significantly with years of practical Topband experience. The credibility of
"The Benchmark Beverage" suffers badly because its based entirely on an
undisclosed computer model not benchmarked to the measured performance of
actual Beverage antennas.

Those of us who have installed Beverages much longer than 1000 feet have had
consistently disappointing results.  The sweet spot for good Topband Beverage
performance seems to be 500 to 900 feet, with 700 to 850 feet being close to
optimum.  This inconsistency between model and practical results may be caused
by several effects not adequately modelled for a very long Beverage, for
example:

 1. decorrelation of the arriving wavefront along the length of a long Beverage.

 2. signal attenuation along the length of a long Beverage.  Signals received
at the far end of a Beverage contribute significantly less to the received
signal than signals received closer to the matching transformer,

 3. phase interference between the incoming wavefront and signals propagating
more slowly (by the velocity factor) along the length of a long Beverage (the
article says this is accounted for, but doesn't reveal the details)

Another significant conflict between "The Benchmark Beverage" and practical
experience is that Beverage antennas are not very sensitive to small changes in
length (changes of about 100 feet or less).  This insensitivity to relatively
small length variations is probably related to the three factors above,
especially the attenuation of signals received at the far end of the Beverage.

I definitely don't recommend that any of rush out to add or remove 50 feet or
less to our Beverages!

73
Frank
W3LPL