Re: Topband: Beverage Antennas & Trees

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage Antennas & Trees
From: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 16:24:47 -0500
I agree with Jim. Beverages don't have to be ideal to work very well
indeed, thank you. It's the matching transformers (and maybe their grounds)
that are a more important thing to worry about.

You need not worry that trees and bushes will attenuate the signal at HF.
Lots of people have installed them in deep woods. If you installed two
identical, separate Beverages pointed in the same direction --one in the
woods and one in the clear-- I doubt if you would be able to tell any
difference between the way they work.

My Beverages run through the woods for a portion of their length, and they
work fine. Although I don't have any leaves or other foliage actually
touching my Beverage's bare open-wire line, there are plenty of places
where the antenna runs past them. And one of them is supported by tree
trunks for about half of its length.

73, Mike
http://www.w0btu.com/Beverage_antennas.html

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 2:51 PM, Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>wrote:

> Mine ... through a lot of brush and scrub trees. ... Bottom line --
> Beverages don't have to be ideal to work.

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK