Re: Topband: Patience in ARRL 160 Contest

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Patience in ARRL 160 Contest
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2012 14:53:51 -0800
On 12/1/2012 1:11 PM, David Raymond wrote:
You smaller stations, particularly QRP, most of the bigger stations will really
work hard to pull you through for a successful QSO.

Some harder than others. W0SD gave my QRP signal a real good try early in the evening, but couldn't get the exchange. I'll certainly try again tonight. N0TT and N0NI heard me almost right away, but it took some repeats to get in their logs. They were my best DX last night. I worked several NM stations, but WD5COV, even when on his 20 over S9 west-facing TX antenna, never gave me so much as a QRZ for the several dozen times I called, and had his auto CQ set for a very short recycle time.

If you're going to work weak signals, both sides of the QSO need patience, operating skill, and good ears. There are FAR too many alligators on the band. Doing the math, 20dB down from 1.5 kW is 15 watts, and a 5W signal would be S8. If your noise level is S8, IMO, you have no business running 1.5kW!

As to the so-called DX window -- ARRL 160 rules seem to be the only place this is still recognized. There has been repeated traffic on this reflector saying that the DX window no longer exists, and hasn't for years. You can't have it both ways -- either it is or it isn't. Based on the advice here I no longer observe it.

73, Jim K9YC