Topband: Shunt fed towers and common mode chokes

To: Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Shunt fed towers and common mode chokes
From: Steve London <n2icarrl@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2012 13:39:20 -0700
My 160 meter shunt fed tower project is essentially done. However, I have an issue with the 80 meter antennas hung off that tower. In a nutshell, the current baluns (ferrite beads) feeding these antennas don't have enough common mode impedance on 160 meters. They heat up, and the SWR of the shunt fed tower changes as they heat up.

After some reading, I think what I need are some RG8X toroid baluns, wound on #31 ferrite material. If they are going to replace the existing bead baluns, then they will need to be placed at the feedline/antenna junction. However, if I want to completely isolate the 160 shunt fed tower from the 80 meter feedlines, shouldn't I place the new baluns as close to the tower-mounted antenna switch as possible, and leave the bead baluns in place at the end of the feedline to choke off the 80 meter common mode energy ?

To add more complications for adding the RG8X toroid balun, my 80 meter antennas are switchable 2 element wire beams, with each element fed with 18' of RG-8. That dimension is critical, as it provides the proper amount of capacitive reactance at the feedpoint to make the element a director.

Comments ?

73,
Steve, N2IC