Re: Topband: Shunt fed towers and common mode chokes

To: <n2ic@arrl.net>, "Topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Shunt fed towers and common mode chokes
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 16:40:54 -0500
My 160 meter shunt fed tower project is essentially done. However, I have an issue with the 80 meter antennas hung off that tower. In a nutshell, the current baluns (ferrite beads) feeding these antennas don't have enough common mode impedance on 160 meters. They heat up, and the SWR of the shunt fed tower changes as they heat up.

I'm assuming the 80 meter antennas are near the tower top, where 160 meter voltage is high. If I was doing what you are doing, I'd use an entirely different concept and solution than the standard balun concept.

What you probably want is a self-resonant choke on 160 that has at least modest Q, so it has a very high common mode, and to isolate the switching box out away from the tower so the switching box and dipoles are independent of the tower.

After some reading, I think what I need are some RG8X toroid baluns, wound on #31 ferrite material. If they are going to replace the existing bead baluns, then they will need to be placed at the feedline/antenna junction. However, if I want to completely isolate the 160 shunt fed tower from the 80 meter feedlines, shouldn't I place the new baluns as close to the tower-mounted antenna switch as possible, and leave the bead baluns in place at the end of the feedline to choke off the 80 meter common mode energy ?

I think so, except for the idea of 31 material. The isolation ideally should be at the point where the feedlines exit the tower and go to the external antennas, and it has to be a very high impedance without significant dissipative losses. You would be much better off with a high-Q material and resonating capacitance.

To add more complications for adding the RG8X toroid balun, my 80 meter antennas are switchable 2 element wire beams, with each element fed with 18' of RG-8. That dimension is critical, as it provides the proper amount of capacitive reactance at the feedpoint to make the element a director.

Well, that complicates things a little bit...but not much. The switch needs to be outside the tower. Like this:

ant 1 or 2  = 18 ft feedline (includes balun cable length) =  switch

then from the switch (isolated from tower) you have:

Switch = control and coax through self resonant chokes ==== tower (grounded or bypassed to tower) and then just down to the very base of the tower (where it should be grounded again) and out to the world away from the tower.

The control and coax choke can be bifilar wound affair (if you can't run control through the coax) and self resonant on 160.

73 Tom