Re: Topband: DX Window-Redux

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: DX Window-Redux
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 16:23:25 -0500
is disingenuous. First the contest planners have already turned their back on DX. DX was included as an after thought. Why, because 160 meter legend DX-er W0NWX-W0DX-VP2VI was ARRL President and lived during the winters in BVI a scant 7 miles from U.S.VI.

It seems to me the ARRL intended it as a local **ARRL** sectional contest, not as a worldwide DX contest to encourage DX participation. It is more like a sweepstakes contest keyed to sections.

I can't see any conspiracy. If someone is in an ARRL section, it counts as an ARRL section. If someone in a country next door is not in an ARRL section, it is DX.

Now Tom suggests that I should be sanctioned for calling CQ inside the window...even though I am really looking for EU and Asia. I must not answer NA stations calling because that is Intercontinental but a PJ of a P4 a few hundred miles south of me can do so without impunity.

Just to be clear, I certainly did not suggest a sanction against any specific person, especially you Herb.

1.) I think there should be a DX Window of some sort so stations located inland have some improved shot at hearing DX away from strong local signals. I do not think the idea to completely eliminate the window was, overall, a good" idea. I think it was done primarily from the view or perspective of people on the east coast with large stations, and without due consideration of how eliminating a window impacts everyone else.

2.) I also think, if something is in the rules or "suggestions" of a contest, people should follow them or suffer a penalty of some type. This is true no matter who they are.

3.) There isn't any competition in any area can be all things to all people, nor can it be completely fair to everyone everywhere. That doesn't mean it is a conspiracy.

This is just my opinion.

73 Tom